Chances of Miscarriage by Age

WHAT'S YOUR REACTION?

0

0

0

0

chances-of-miscarriage-by-age
VN:F [1.9.16_1159]
Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes cast)

1. The Truth About Miscarriage

Miscarriage is never an easy thing to deal with, no matter if it’s your first or your fifth. However, one thing that many women do not realize is just how common miscarriages are. Some experts say that as many as 25% of all pregnancies will end in miscarriage.

experts-say-that-as-many-as-25-percent-of-all-pregnancies-will-end-in-miscarriage

Of those miscarriage, close to 75% will be chemical pregnancies, or pregnancies that are lost shortly after implantation. So, if you do experience a miscarriage, know that you are not alone. Keep reading for more information about the chances of miscarriage depending on your age.

2. Miscarriage and Age

There is no doubt about it, the chances of miscarriage continue to increase as a woman ages. For an otherwise healthy woman who is under 35 years old, the chance of miscarriage is around 8 percent.

A woman who is between 30 and 34 years old has around a 12 percent chance of miscarrying. For women ages 35 to 37, the risk jumps up a little more, to around 16 percent.

A-woman-who-is-between-30-and-34-years-old-has-around-a-12-percent-chance-of-miscarrying

However, once a woman hits age 38 or 39, her chances of miscarriage jump again to around 22 percent. The numbers just keep on increasing. Women aged 40 or 41 have around a 33 percent chance of miscarriage, and women ages 42 or 43 see a really big jump in numbers, to around 45 percent.

For-women-ages-44-and-older-there-is-around-a-60-percent-chance-of-miscarrying

For women ages 44 and older, there is around a 60 percent chance of miscarrying. As you can see, as a woman gets older, the risk of miscarriage increases exponentially. There are some very large jumps in those numbers, so it is pretty clear that younger mothers have less of a risk of miscarrying.

3. Other Facts To Know

It is important to also realize that age is not the only factor that affects miscarriage rate. Women who have had previous miscarriages are also more likely to have another miscarriage. Having a prior miscarriage increases the risk of having another by only around 25 percent.

lifestyle-choices-such-as-smoking-drug-use-and-alcohol-abuse-can-also-increase-the-risk-of-miscarriage

Of course, lifestyle choices such as smoking, drug use, and alcohol abuse can also increase the risk of miscarriage, as can maternal trauma like a car accident. If there are maternal problems like hormonal imbalances, maternal health issues or infections, or other issues, these can also increase the risk of miscarriage.

age-is-definitely-a-huge-factor-when-it-comes-to-getting-pregnant

Age is a very big factor when it comes to the risk of miscarriage, but it is important to keep in mind that it is not the only factor. If you are concerned about your miscarriage risk, talk with your doctor and see if there are any things that you can do to reduce your risk.

Ms. Wisniewski has over 15 years experience as a labor and delivery nurse, having also worked previously as a nurse midwife in the Philippines and India. She enjoys empowering women and providing family centered care to women from all cultural and educational backgrounds.